Monday, July 17, 2017

road trip days thirty six and thirty seven: the last day, and really the last day

last errands, snacks, and pool
On our last day in Arizona, we ran errands, made a last stop at Golden Spoon, and of course, spent time in the pool. 

the last barro's
One last dinner at Barro's Pizza.  

After our delicious pizza and wings, we got the kids loaded into the van and then realized that it wouldn't start, the keys were stuck in the ignition, and the car was beeping.  Cue panic... We called AAA (who said it could be up to 2 hours!) and Grandma started shuttling kids back to the house (in the Miata, so clearly that was going to take awhile...).  Amazingly, a guy showed up and asked if we needed any help with the van and it turns out he was a mechanic (or at least more mechanically inclined than us) and he said it was probably the battery (which we figured) and jumped it so I could drive to an auto part store for a new one.  We thanked him for his help and I started driving to AutoZone.  The windows were rolled about halfway down because I didn't want to run the air and all of a sudden, the driver's side window fell into the track.  How does that even happen?!  My parents met us at AutoZone and we decided there was no point in getting a battery because I clearly couldn't drive cross-country with a window down the whole time so the van needed to go to VW in the morning.

Bright and early the next morning, my dad jumped the van and I drove it to VW and pleaded with them to fix it as quickly as possible because we were supposed to leave that morning.  We headed back to the house with fingers crossed that my car would be ready by lunch so that we could still make the drive to Albuquerque.

chick-fil-a prizes
At cow appreciation day, I entered the kids in a costume contest and we found out they won(!) so since we clearly weren't leaving yet, we went to Chick-fil-A to pick up our awesome prizes-- ice dream cones, cow calendars and cute little cows!

Unfortunately, my "we have to leave no later than" times kept getting pushed later and later and then completely passed, so around 3p I had to accept the fact that we would not be leaving as planned and started the mess of calling and rescheduling all of our hotel stays across the country.  Shout out to Hilton though, as most of our hotels were able to push our stay one night and honor the original rate!!  We picked up the van that afternoon after it got a new battery and the window mechanism replaced (luckily, both were under warranty!) and we were able to relax for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

we didn't leave!
Enjoying our bonus day at Grandma and Grandpa's house: playdoh, pool time, and Sweet Tomatoes for dinner!

grandpa's car
Ellie was so excited to FINALLY ride in Grandpa's car all the way to the mailbox (at the end of the street!).  Such fun on our real last night in Arizona!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive